Total Pageviews

Subscribe by Email

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Movie Review: The Debt

We rented The Debt (2011) from Netflix.  We saw the trailer on one of the other movies we rented and thought it looked interesting.  Can you ever go wrong wit Helen Mirren?  No, you cannot.  The movie is a remake of a 2007 Israeli film version.

This movie is a retrospective look into the lives of three agents who are undercover as young people (early 20's) to capture and bring to trial a butcher doctor from the Holocaust.  As the movie begins, it is 30 years after their mission and they are all coping with decisions made in their own ways.  There are some loose ends that remain to be tied and Helen's character is the only one even remotely capable.

The story flips back and forth between the time of the mission and the present day.  It is rated R for violence, language and I would add, the horrific subject matter.

The movie is action packed and exciting.  The actors are excellent and the story is solid.  Did I like it?  Not so much.  The subject matter was painful to me and the violence, although not in the category of graphic, was disturbing to me, nonetheless.  I even got up and left the room a time or two and closed my eyes a few other times.  That being said, I'm not saying I thought it was a bad movie...at all.  Just not a good one for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment