This is the link directly to the page and you can watch the video of them making it, but here is the recipe and a couple of photos I took while making it at home.
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2pounds broccoli, florets roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 1/2teaspoons dry mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Table salt
- 3–4cups water
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 2cups low-sodium chicken broth (see note)
- 2ounces baby spinach (2 loosely packed cups)
- 3ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2ounces Parmesan cheese, grated fine (about 3/4 cup), plus extra for serving
- Ground black pepper
- 1. Heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides, add broccoli, onion, garlic, dry mustard, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and baking soda. Bring to simmer, cover, and cook until broccoli is very soft, about 20 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- 2. Add broth and 2 cups water and increase
heat to medium-high. When mixture begins to simmer, stir in spinach and
cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer half of soup to blender, add
cheddar and Parmesan, and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
Transfer soup to medium bowl and repeat with remaining soup. Return soup
to Dutch oven, place over medium heat and bring to simmer. Adjust
consistency of soup with up to 1 cup water. Season to taste with salt
and pepper. Serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.
Here's what it looks like before it gets all mushy. In the program, they said one of the secrets was to really cook it down to near mush...that that ended up sweetening the broccoli. Be careful...I found that my lid didn't have a tight seal, and my temp was up a tad too high, so I kept losing water...and nothing, I mean nothing smells or tastes worse than burned broccoli. Except maybe poop.
Next time I will turn my heat down, watch my fluid evaporation more, and I think more cheese would be in order.